How to avoid Tremblant Vacation Rental Scams
Nearly 48% of travelers, particularly those planning ski vacations, choose vacation rentals over hotels. Many of these travelers will use the internet to secure a rental and are not aware of the risks they are taking. Whether you are booking a Mont Tremblant chalet rental or lodging in another destination, when booking online its important to protect yourself from scammers.
Thousands of travelers each year fall victim to online vacation rental scams through websites such as CraigsList.org and other classified ad websites. While you can often find great deals for Mont Tremblant chalet rentals, these sites are also known for having their share of vacation rental scams. By taking a few precautions and knowing how to spot a scam your chances of being victimized decrease enormously.
Look for these Red Flags:
- The contact number is not in the same area as the vacation rental.
- The owner/manager does not live in the same city as the property or claims to be out of town.
- Payments have to be made by wire transfer, cashier’s check or money order.Tips to Avoid Rental Scams
Tips to Avoid Vacation Rental Scams
- Verify the owner’s name by searching the properties record on the local government website for that area.
- Use Google to search the address to the vacation rental, the landlord or manager’s name, phone number and any other information you have.
- Check for any complaints that have been made with the Better Business Bureau.
- Before sending any money for a rental make sure that you have a signed contract. Any representative of a legitimate vacation rental will use a contract.
The most important tip is to use your judgment and trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right it probably isn’t. Before going online to reserve a Tremblant vacation rental or any other property we encourage you to use a trusted vacation rentals website like VRBO.com, homeaway.com or on our website here, officialmonttremblant.com.
If you think you or someone else you know may have been the victim of internet fraud or would like to file a complaint regarding vacation rental scams please refer to the information below.